Parenthood
Fire department urges parents to be careful after baby suffers burns from common summer item
All parents should know this.
Luis Gaskell
07.11.22

When the scorching summer heat arrives, we all bring out different ways to cool off. I’m an iced-tea person myself, and others like to hang indoors with the air conditioning.

Changing into sleeveless tanks and shorts is also your best bet. Any extra layers you don’t need can go a long way in helping you stay cool.

Pexels - Mike B
Source:
Pexels - Mike B

And of course, there’s the old garden hose and swimming pool. A favorite option for dogs, kids, and even some adults.

But as it turns out, using the garden hose on kiddie pools during summer can be a little dangerous.

Pexels - Gratisography
Source:
Pexels - Gratisography

But why? All you’re doing is filling up the pool for the little ones. It’s not like they can drown in a kiddie pool, and the water is clean too.

The danger lies in a hose that’s been under the sun.

During a Las Vegas summer, the intense sun can truly cook things that are directly exposed to it for long. Concrete pavements and sidewalks become too hot for dogs. The hoods of cars can get just about hot enough to fry an egg, and the water is no exception either.

Pexels - Karolina Grabowska
Source:
Pexels - Karolina Grabowska

A toddler suffered burns after being sprayed with a garden hose that was left under the sun.

Just how hot was the water in the house, then? Well, the Las Vegas Fire Department is here to tell us.

With the sun shining full force and the hose sitting right under it, the water coming from the hose can reach as high as 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pexels - Ashish
Source:
Pexels - Ashish

That’s enough to cause noticeable burns on the skin. Children have especially sensitive skin too.

The photo they included shows everything you’d need to hear.

All this was first noted by a mother in a nearby city. She made the unfortunate discovery herself and had to share it to warn others. I think she made the right call.

Her child suffered 2nd degree burns from the water. Clearly, this is no joke. And to think that all it took was to leave the house under the sun.

Pexels - Emma Bauso
Source:
Pexels - Emma Bauso

Almost everyone brings out the hoses for their kids and pets during summer. So it’s helpful to know that the sun can really heat up the water without them knowing.

It’s for this reason that letting the hose flow a bit first is a common practice.

This isn’t limited to Las Vegas. Visit any place with scorching hot summers, and the people there will know what it does to the water from a hose.

Pexels - Kampus Production
Source:
Pexels - Kampus Production

What’s more, people who water plants know this rule better than most. Garden plants can be surprisingly sensitive to just about anything. Some household and garden plants can wilt or die if you so much as look at them funny.

So it shouldn’t be surprising that they won’t appreciate water that’s the same temperature as a cup of hot tea.

Pexels - Karolina Grabowska
Source:
Pexels - Karolina Grabowska

At least you know now as well. When summer arrives, be careful with the garden hose.

Let it run for a bit before watering anything with it. Lest you risk getting those same nasty burns on your skin and your child’s.

Learn more about the warning in the video below.

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

By Luis Gaskell
hi@sbly.com
Luis Gaskell is a contributor at SBLY Media.
Advertisement
Advertisement