Last year, fidget spinners and dabbing took schoolyards by storm— but this year, it’s all about Fortnite.
Fortnite is a multiplayer, online video game set in a dystopian world. The premise is that 98% of the Earth’s population has died, while the remaining 2% (i.e. the players) must now fight to survive.
As mentioned, Fortnite has exploded within the past year, but it’s not just among kids.
Gamers of all ages are infatuated with Fornite, as Melissa Fenton of Scary Mommy explains:
“My kids are literally playing with their friends’ dads, and my son at college has reported his entire dorm can be heard hollering strategy hideouts into headphones at all hours of the night.”
In the game, every player starts with a pickaxe, but the map is loaded with weapons and items that can be scavenged and used for defense. After parachuting down to a location of their choosing, players must gather as much arsenal as possible while fending off enemy players and squads.
When a player achieves victory, their character celebrates with a victory dance.
“Flossing” is the most popular victory dance in the game.
Basically, it involves swinging one’s arms with clenched fists from the back of the body to the front, on each side. The movement is supposed to imitate flossing one’s legs with a piece of string.
A chain of fitness clubs in the UK has even taken advantage of the trend by developing dance classes specifically geared towards mastering Fortnite moves.
“Once each move has been perfected, the class performs a routine of all 12 moves together,” a press release (obtained via Business Insider) explains.
— BBC Radio Bristol (@bbcrb) August 27, 2018
Flossing has become so popular amongst students that some schools have started putting rules in place. One mother from the UK complained that her child’s school was giving detentions for flossing, while other schools are reportedly banning it all together.
The entire situation has been controversial, but most parents agree the dancing isn’t doing any harm. Some argue Fortnite dancing has even brought families closer together— like this one, for instance!
At the beginning of this video, you see a little girl standing by herself toward the right of the room. In the background, music from the Fortnite soundtrack’s playing in the background.
She stands motionless until the lyrics start, at which point she begins recreating one of the famous Fornite steps.
Out of nowhere, an older brother pops out of the hallway, joining her in the synchronized kicks and fist pumps.
Then he’s followed by two more.
When they’ve finished dancing, they each break into their own solo Fornite moves— and it’s impossible to decide you who love most!
Since being uploaded to YouTube, the siblings’ Fornite routine has been viewed 7.7 million times.
It’s not often you see brothers and sisters getting along with each other, let alone long enough to choreograph an entire dance routine! Comments on the video read:
“This little girl is better than me at flossing, oh my god.”
“This was the cutest sibling video I have ever seen.”
“This made me laugh SO hard.”
Before we finish, it should be noted that the Fortnite video game is not suitable for kids under 12. “It’s not really more violent than many other games out there,” said Adrian Weckler, technology editor for the Irish Independent. “But, like any popular game, it can become addictive.”
If I was their mom, I wouldn’t be able to stop smiling while watching this. How amazing is it to see siblings having fun and getting along?
Watch the video below!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Parenting Isn't Easy
Join your friends or be the first to like our page