Toddler rubs hair removal cream on her head and ends up looking like Pennywise from It
Dad was looking after her when the incident took place so when mom got home to see her daughter's new look she was not happy with him!
E. Holder

18-month-old Maisie Saward wanted to be just like her dad. Unfortunately, the cost of her experiment was quite steep.

Fortunately, she’s probably too young to be emotionally scarred by the experience. But her mom? Not so much. For mom, the trauma was real.

Maisie, of Hampshire, England, was home with her siblings and dad when she got into a bit of mischief.

Seizing on an opportunity when her older brother Ollie—aged 4—left the baby gate open in the living room, the fun begins.

Maisie and her twin sister Eva set off on an adventure.

Kennedy News & Media / Tyla
Kennedy News & Media / Tyla

We don’t know if there was a deliberate destination in mind, but the two girls made their way upstairs and began to explore. And this shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone with even a passing knowledge of toddlers. Mayhem ensued.

At some point, Maisie made it to the bathroom and in an effort to be just like dad, she decided she would gel her hair back. Except she used the wrong tube. Instead of gel, she was smothering her hair in Superdrug Hair Removal Cream.

The dangers of hair removal cream.

Kennedy News & Media / Tyla
Kennedy News & Media / Tyla

Hair removal cream is said to be safe, but I went to the Superdrug website and found a long list of warnings or restrictions on their product page, which included several that would be relevant to this situation.

  • Avoid contact with eyes.
  • Rinse eyes immediately if product comes into contact with them.
  • Follow the instructions.
  • Keep out of reach of children.
  • Do not apply the depilatory cream around eyes, in nose, ears …
  • Before the first use, carry out a test on a small part of the area to be depilated.
  • If you feel itchiness, burning, or tingling during its use, remove immediately with abundant cool water. If the symptoms persist, seek medical advice.
  • Don’t scratch the depilated area after the application.

Fortunately, we can laugh at what happened to Maisie, but clearly, things could have ended much worse for her.

Fortunately, dad caught her before that happened.

Kennedy News & Media / The Mirror
Kennedy News & Media / The Mirror

And perhaps, unfortunately, mom wasn’t home at the time. She may have reacted a bit differently and saved her daughter’s 3-inch bangs.

As mom Kristy told Metro News,

“Rather than just shove her under the shower, Luke ran her a bath, got her changed and it took about 10 minutes before he even thought about taking it off.”

Kristy explains that she was out when the incident happened. And when she called, her husband tried to tell her what had happened.

“I’d called Luke and he said ‘Maisie’s got no fringe [bangs] left,’ but the phone broke up, so I just thought she’d got hold of some scissors.”

In the meantime, dad tried to wash the cream out, but as he shampooed his daughter, clumps of hair fell out.

She was stunned when she got home and saw what had happened.

Kennedy News & Media / The Mirror
Kennedy News & Media / The Mirror

The Mirror reports,

“When I got home, I was just in pure shock. She came and gave me a cuddle and I just cried for an hour because I absolutely loved her fringe [bangs].”

And she wasn’t too happy with her husband either.

“If I hadn’t been out for so long maybe I’d have been able to deal with it myself. I didn’t speak to him for a couple of hours, but the next day I started to see more of the funny side.”

Fortunately, everyone can laugh about it now.

Metro & Wikipedia
Metro & Wikipedia

Mom has managed to figure out how to do a comb-over for Maisie but admits it doesn’t last too long. Maisie is intrigued by her new do and likes to play with it.

And friends have laughingly suggested that they dress her as Pennywise for Halloween, she Maisie, with her ginger locks and new hairline, already bears a startling resemblance.

But parents Luke and Kristy realize the danger of what happened with their daughter.

“Me and Luke felt a bit of a failure for not keeping these things out of her way, but once I’d realized these things happen when you’ve got kids we felt a bit better about it. Parenting, especially with twins, isn’t easy, and if this makes even one other mum feel better then that’s great.”

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Article Sources:
To learn more read our Editorial Standards.