Trending
9-yr-old watching TV smells smoke. Gets up to investigate & realizes entire family in trouble
Very quickly he realized his entire family was in trouble.
Cherie Gozon
07.12.22

A house fire is very traumatic when you’re in that situation. You don’t know exactly how to react. Some of us would panic and look for a way out of it, while some might freeze in terror because we don’t know what to do.

Unsplash - Daniel Tausis
Source:
Unsplash - Daniel Tausis

A lot of things could go on in your mind as you watch the flames swallow your home and turn it into ashes. It’s like the house we worked hard for, and the dreams we built around it are all burned away.

Unsplash - Chris Karidis
Source:
Unsplash - Chris Karidis

But the most important thing in case of fire is our safety. It’s devastating to lose our home and all the stuff in it. However, nothing could be more soul-crushing than losing the people we love. So whenever there’s a fire in our home, we always have this instinct to save ourselves and our loved ones.

Smelling smoke

It seemed like an ordinary day as nine-year-old Tristan Cook and his three other siblings sat on the couch watching television. A few moments later, he heard a popping noise in the nearby room where the door was just beside where he was sitting on the couch. He also smelled smoke.

YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition
Source:
YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition

He got quickly got up, opened the door, and saw what could be the most terrifying scene: the room was on fire. He ran outside to call his mom to tell her about the fire.

Quick action

Tracey Cook, Tristan’s mom, was taking a nap while her husband was out in the garage. She got up and told all of her kids to run outside. Her three other kids followed with the slightest clue of what was happening.

YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition
Source:
YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition

The fire engulfed their Nashville home in a matter of minutes, and what amazed Tracey was how her son reacted to the situation. She checked their home camera, which she installed in the living to keep an eye on her kids, and that’s when she saw how quickly Tristan acted on the situation.

He saved them all

Nothing was left of the family because of the fire except for themselves.

YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition
Source:
YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition

Tracey said she was thankful for her son’s quick action and recognized how that saved them all.

“I’m so proud and so blessed (that) he got us all out. He warned us all,” she told NewsChannel 5. “What if anything happened to them? I wouldn’t be able to wake up. We’re all about family,” she added.

YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition
Source:
YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition

For her, that was the most important thing – that her family was still together. She turned emotional as she said that, feeling the weight of her son’s actions and how it could’ve gone the other way.

The aftermath and starting over

The fire burned their entire residence leaving nothing behind. According to reports, the fire was electrical in nature. That pop that Tristan heard may be from faulty wiring that easily spread throughout the entire home.

YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition
Source:
YouTube Screenshot - Inside Edition

Tracey said that they can and will rebuild. All the things inside their home and their house itself could be replaced. It’s losing a family member they could never take back. Thankfully, Tristan was there to prevent that.

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Article Sources:
To learn more read our Editorial Standards.
By Cherie Gozon
hi@sbly.com
Cherie Gozon is a contributor at SBLY Media.
Advertisement
Advertisement